Case Management 

Who are we?

Forensic Intensive Recovery (FIR) and the Intermediate Punishment Placement (IPP) program are units dedicated to providing recovery support services to individuals who are court stipulated to participant in Drug and Alcohol treatment as part of their sentencing conditions. The Forensic Services program is part of Public Health Management Corporation (PHMC), which is a non-profit health institute who works toward sustaining and building healthier communities.  

What do we do?

Case managers will schedule to meet with the participant to develop recovery goals for him/her to work towards completing while they are engaged in their Drug and Alcohol treatment program. The case manager will meet with the participant and provide information to coordinate additional support with the D& A treatment provider, Adult Probation and Parole Officer, Public Defender Social Service Staff, Mental Health treatment providers and primary medical care persons as needed. Together the case manager and participant will develop an ongoing plan which will help the participant work towards successful completion of his/her recovery goals. The case manager will also be able to provide positive encouragement to the participant as they make successful improvements.

Why we do it?

Forensic Services believes that everyone deserves a second chance at a fulfilling life regardless of the challenges that he/she might have faced in their life.  Our mission statement is to improve community safety by decreasing the possibility of criminal activity of a person who has a substance abuse and/or mental illness, by providing behavioral health treatment and related services, while under the criminal justice supervision as an alternative to being incarcerated.  

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1.  What will my FIR/IPP Case Manager do for me?  

a.  Your case manager will help you develop recovery goals and provide you with feedback and assistance to help guide you through your treatment participation. Your case manager along with your input will develop a schedule to meet with you at the identified treatment program, recovery residence, home setting, or in the community. 

2.  How long will I work with my FIR/IPP Case Manager?

a.  Most participants can be in case management up to a year.  It depends on your completion of outpatient Drug and Alcohol treatment and probation requirements. The length may vary. Your case manager will link you with appropriate aftercare supports when your case management services are discontinued.

3.  Will my FIR/IPP Case Manager be available to drive me to my appointments?

a.  No. Your case manager cannot drive you to your appointments. However, you and your case manager can arrange to attend some appointments together. Your case manager will assist you in finding other ways to meet your travel needs, such as public transportation or saving money to purchase trespasses or other forms of transportation.

4.  Will my FIR/IPP Case Manager obtain a recovery residence for me? 

a.  Your case manager can submit a request for recovery residence placement. However, this does not guarantee you will be placed in the recovery residence of your choice. Each Recovery residence has its own requirements and you will be expected to adhere to their program rules.  

b.  Your case manager can assist you in obtaining documents you need and other items for housing applications, such as PHA housing. Forensic Services does not provide down payments for application fees or admission fees.

c.  The time it takes to complete the housing process depends on your housing needs and this may vary.  

d.  Forensic Services does not own and operate any recovery residences.

5.  What if I do not agree with services being offered to me by my FIR/IPP Case Manager?

a.  One of your rights is that this is a collaborative process and you will be able to participate in the decision making process regarding some services. The clinical evaluation team and treatment programs, however, will make recommendations for your Drug and Alcohol recovery needs and thus make the appropriate recommendations for treatment.  

b.  If at any time you feel that your rights have been violated, you may follow the process for submitting a grievance form. You will be provided the appropriate grievance forms during your initial evaluation and your first intake session with your case manager.

c.  You can also contact CBH member services at 215-413-3100.

6.  Will I be able to get a job and begin work while I am residing in a recovery residence house?

a.  Your probation officer along with your case manager and treatment team can discuss with you your ability to work as you participant in Drug and Alcohol treatment program.  

b.  Each recovery housing program has their own rules regarding blackout periods for new residents. Blackout periods are designated time frames for restricted activity within the residence. Each individual request to work is reviewed individually.

7.  Will I be able to receive FIR/IPP services once I complete my probation requirements?

a.  No, however your case manager will refer you to other case management options if you are active in Drug and Alcohol treatment and wish to still have case management support.

8.  Will the case manager help me activate my welfare benefits?

a.  The case manager along with your identified treatment program staff will assist you with this process.   

b.  Understand that you are required to go to the welfare agency, submit completed documentation, and follow up if further requirements are needed.  Remember to always get copies and track items submitted. 

9.   Does Forensic Services have employment agencies that can hire me for a job during my involvement in the program?

a.  Forensic Services does own or operate any employment agencies that can directly hire you during your involvement in the program. However, your case manager will link you vocational referral services in the community that can assist you with vocational and educational support. 

b.  Your eligibility regarding how quickly you can work will take into consideration your treatment success. Collaboration with your assigned probation officer is obtained.   

10.  What if stop seeing my FIR/IPP case manager for sessions, what will happen?

a.  FIR case managers are required to schedule at minimum two face to face sessions per month. This can increase due to your needs at the time. If you do not meet with your case manager we are unable to help you with the needed support. If no contact by you is made for a continuous 30 day period, after multiply attempts have been made to contact you, the FIR/IPP case manager will notify the probation officer and formal documentation to discharge you from the program will begin.

11.  Does Forensic Services know when I will be released from custody once I see the Judge for sentencing?

a.  No. At this time the Forensic Services would not have this information. Arrangements for release would be handled through the Defender Association and the Philadelphia Department of Prisons if you are court ordered into our program.

12. How do I contact my FIR/IPP case manager?

a.  The FIR/IPP CM will provide you with their direct contact number once initial outreach to you is attempted. Case managers work Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:00pm. If you are unable to reach your case manager, you can contact Forensic Services at 215-985-2500 and ask to speak to FIR or IPP case Management Supervisor. 

Now that you have accepted services………..

What will happen next?

  • You and your case manager will meet and complete the intake documentation. You will begin to develop goals you wish to accomplish while you are in the program and attending your required drug and alcohol treatment program. 
  • You will work with your case manager to determine the best schedule to meet regularly

When will services begin?

  • Services will begin as soon as your case manager contacts you to introduce themselves. During your first session you will develop a case management service plan. This service plan will help you identify your goals as you and your case manager work to achieve these goals.

When will I see my case manager?

  • Your case manager will contact you within 3 days of being assigned. He/she will work with you to schedule your first session. Your case manager may see you more frequently than that depending on your need for additional support. The case manager can see you at the treatment program, your home, in the recovery house, or an agreed upon meeting location in the community.  Case managers cannot drive you to appointments or pick you up for sessions in vehicles. We do not transport. 

How can I contact my case manager?

  • Your case manager will provide you with their contact number. Case managers work Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:00pm. If you are unable to reach your case manager, you can contact Forensic Services at 215-985-2500 between regular business hours and ask to speak to one of the FIR/IPP case management supervisors. Our offices are closed on major holidays.